If my back just hurt for a few days, it would not be that big of a deal. Unfortunately, when back pain comes, so does the flared-up inner dialog.
I can’t do what I need to do.
I am afraid to make it worse.
What if it never gets better?
With pain comes fear. It’s hard to prevent that. But I am finding that my body heals much quicker if I stay positive and send it healing messages instead of fear-based messages.
“The wound is the place where the Light enters you.” – Rumi
If you are in pain, whether it is back pain or something else, try these steps.
- Stop searching for blame, especially of yourself. Usually, there is no one thing that causes back pain. Like my physical therapist once said, these things manifest from a lifetime of chronic bad behavior. By this, he wasn’t referring to my twenties. He was referring to improper posture, too much sitting, muscle imbalances, etc.
- Acknowledge the fear. I say to myself, “I am afraid.” I am afraid I will have to live with chronic pain. I am afraid I am doing something wrong. I am afraid I have a bad back.
- Remember the truth. Injuries occur. The body wants nothing more than to heal itself. It has mechanism upon mechanism to do so. The main obstacle to it doing that is the onslaught of stress chemicals that start churning out when we get scared.
- Breathe deeply. This stops the stress response and the release of chemicals that are preventing healing. Add something radically positive, like prayer, meditation or a mantra. All is well. My body will heal. I will be free from pain.
Massage therapy, A.R.T., foam rolling
Walking (with good posture)
Sitting with a really straight back (my physical therapist would say to “sit like a choir girl”)
Gentle exercises that keep circulation moving through the affected area.
If you are in pain, say the following positive affirmations to heal:
- I breathe in the spirit of calm, peace and healing from God.
- With each deep breath, God’s calm and peace flow through me.
- My body is calm and peaceful.
- My back pain is gone.
- My back pain is healed.
- I accept healing from God for my back.
- Love and energy from God flows towards my back.
- I feel my back warming up.
- My back is free of pain.
- I move and flow with ease. (affirmations courtesy of Elle Bieling)
Nothing is hopeless! But we must speak faith. I believe peace is possible in all circumstances, even this inconvenient, distracting back ache.
All is well.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. – Phil 4:6-8