One of them was a group treadmill workout, where the instructor guided us through intervals according to our heart rate. I'd be in zone 2 for two minutes, then she's tell us to turn it up to whatever speed or incline would take us to zone 3. Then recover. Then crank it up. It was great because the room was filled with every fitness level, yet we were all working out together.
Time flew by and I was challenged, but not to the point of feeling sick or like I'd overdone it. And I was next to my sister on the treadmill. I loved that workout.
I came home and drew up a plan to open a business that offered treadmill sessions just like that one. In all the years I've been working out, that one stuck with me. It was one of my favorite workouts ever.
Well, I wasn't able to put my plan to action back in 2002. I just wasn't ready, but I never lost that vision. Fast forward thirteen years! My vision of treadmill sessions started speaking to me and waking me up during the night. I kept hearing over and over, from clients and friends, "I can't seem to get my cardio in." I know what to do, I just don't do it.
I understand this! It was harder this year than most. A very cold, icy winter, then the allergies, rain, and humidity. It has become tough to walk outside. I've tried the walking group for several years, but it doesn't work well. Here are a few reasons why:
- Icy paths, snow, cold, rain, heat, humidity, sun exposure
- Difficulty keeping up pace with others, scheduling
- Dangerous cracks in the pavement, fear of falling or tripping
- Fear of having a "bathroom issue" out on the trail
- Foot problems on pavement, knee pain on hills and cement
- Seasonal allergies, medications, asthma
- Bee allergies, safety, dogs, geese, etc.
The other thing that kept happening was women would come in who really wanted to be part of the Clear Rock community, but could not afford personal strength training. I understand that, too. This is a specialized service and not everyone can afford it. Also, many women don't feel like they can make the investment until they are doing better with their walks and their eating. I get that, too.
I am hoping we can help. We have plenty of space in the new studio next door to have treadmill sessions with up to eight people. This will allow us to serve more women. It will also help everyone who is already doing a great job strength training, to get their cardio in if the weather is bad, or they just need more accountability or people to walk with.
Here's what we want you to know about Clear Rock Tread.
- 1. These are personal training sessions, cardio style. That means they will be led by a certified trainer (right now me and Kim), and they will be personalized to your fitness level.
- 2. These sessions are great for absolutely all fitness levels. Brand spanking new, beginner, intermediate, or advanced. You set the pace according to your heart rate.
- 3. Using exercise physiology (heart rate zones) to guide your training will help you see results in both aerobic endurance and weight loss.
- 4. You will get to register (create a login and password) and then reserve your treadmill online for each session you want to attend. It is easy, we'll help you get that set up.
- 5. The first class is free so you can try it and bring a friend with you.
- 6. We are offering an introductory rate of $150/10 sessions to all current Clear Rock clients and their friends. If you purchase your first package at the introductory rate, that will be your rate for life. The basic rate for new clients will be $175/10 sessions.
- 7. We've scheduled two dates for your to come in, bring friends, and see what we're talking about. Bring your iPad, laptop or phone and we'll walk you through the online registration process, payment, and reserving your first session. Those dates are: Saturday, Aug. 29th 10:00 am - 2:00 pm or Monday, Aug. 31st 7:00 - 8:30 pm (drop in anytime).
I almost forgot to mention, these sessions are going to be FUN! Empowering music, motivating and encouraging instructors (and if you know us, you know we're goofballs), while walking the stress right out of your day...out of your life even. Our goal is to take the dread out of the treadmill, and make it your favorite workout ever.